With acute sight and majestic flight, the fascinating raptor has stood for years on the burgundy color of our buses, proud and with spread wings towards discovery.
Our vocation is to fly free, discovering the world
Our logo sports an eagle because L’Aquila, meaning eagle, is also the name of the capital city of Abruzzo. The animal’s traits reflect our region’s people, strong, proud and kind.
Our vocation is to fly free, discovering the world but always remembering that, even if we go far, it essential to remember where we are from because that will always be the place to go back to. During the 70s and 80s Nicola, our CEO, used to accompany religious groups on nighttime voyages dedicated to Padre Pio or San Gabriele.
Due to a graphic error, the eagle’s left leg was cut, which was an important coincidence as it linked to the real motivation behind the creation of our company - Ermindo lost his leg in WW2 and, upon his return, set up the local transportation company.
For a graphic error, the eagle's left leg was cut, which was an important coincidence and linked to the real motivation of the creation of our company.
Civitarese's eagle, 1970 - Today.
To go far, it is essential to remember where we are from because that will always be the place back to.
Our vocation is to fly free, discovering the world
In the '50s, pullman 642 Fiat - from right Ermindo Civitarese, Pasqualino Massone, owner of the distributor Shell in Piazza Porta Caldari, Franchino Civitarese and his friend
His passion for vehicles started when he was a kid and his experiences in the war drove him to pursue his devotion and connect, for the first time, all of Ortona’s southwest quarters to the town centre.
The dream came true when, with many sacrifices, Ermindo went to Naples to buy an old English military ambulance at the American market of Porta Capuana. He adapted it for passenger transport as cheaply as possible: helped by the Tortella brothers, he built iron axes along the inner sides to support wooden tables as passengers' seats.
With that, the first local bus service in Ortona was born. Daily travellers would sit in the vehicle, sharing news, stories about their day and revelling in the new sense of normality. The peasants could bring their products to the city market and everyone could finally reach the centre by bus, instead of going by bike or on foot. Finally it was possible to study, communicate, travel and hope for the future!
1946 - After the war, hope and desire to start over were just a dream.
Ermindo Civitarese, back from the front, made those hopes a reality.
1955, Fiat 626 Luna - Travelling on the road to Montorio al Vomano towards San Gabriele's Sanctuary.
After that first sample, proper buses were purchased with great economical efforts. Ermindo, now helped by his brothers Ernesto, Franchino, and Reginaldo to run the extra-urban bus route Villa Rogatti-Ortona, founded the F.lli Civitarese company in 1946, becoming the pioneer of local public transport.
In the common desire to start a new life, it was important to rely on human relationships and word of mouth.
The driver also used to wait for some passengers at the bus stop for several minutes, knowing their habits. Many local tales were born in those days and still live on in unforgettable stories.
In the '60s , the sound of the bus leaving or returning became the clock marking the moments of the day for the townspeople. With the vehicles becoming increasingly suitable for public transport, the historical ‘Lunetta’ joined the fleet.
This bus, a Fiat 626, inaugurated the new transport service Villa Rogatti-Lanciano, signing a new opportunity for thousands of young citizens to continue their studies in high schools located in the neighboring town.
Pullman "Lunetta" 626 Fiat on the road - top left Franchino Civitarese, Ermindo Civitarese (center) and some passengers.
1968 - Fiat 306 bodywork Barbi - Santa Maria degli Angeli (Assisi). From the right side Nicola Civitarese, Ermindo Civitarese, Claudio Civitarese, Silvana Graziani as Ermindo's wife.
1960 - the sound of the bus leaving or returning became the clock marking the moments of the day for the townspeople, as well as an undeniable source of joy as only every novelty could be.
During the '90s , the company became bigger and bigger and, over the years, Ermindo was helped by his wife, Silvana, and his two sons, Nicola and Claudio, who eventually took over the company. Local public transport and national trips to discover Italy gradually became the core of the family business. Today, Nicola remembers those days of self-denial and passion.’
Together with his wife Luciana , he fulfilled his father’s dream and, during the 2000s, the company reached new heights to make that eagle fly higher. The project, supported in recent years by their children, has been continued with the same values and passion. The staff at Civitarese Viaggi are the soul of the company. Now, as well as being a pivotal company in Abruzzo’s history, Civitarese Viaggi covers many bases - tour operating, travel agency, ticket office and public transport provider.
1995, Mercedes O303 – Monte Bianco